Survive the party season
You’ve been exercising diligently, eating healthily and you’ve been watching the extra winter kilos melt away slowly but surely. You are happy with the numbers on the scale and it’s almost time to show off your sexy new body on the beach or next to the pool. There is just one little obstacle between you and the summer holidays…the end-of-year parties.
With so many parties in the pipeline, it’s easy to lose control and undo all your hard work. The buffet tables are loaded with yummy temptations and sexy cocktails and as we party into the night, we lose track of the kilojoules. The good news, though, is that with a few smart tips, you can still enjoy the silly season without spoiling your waistline. Here’s how:
- Don’t go to a party hungry as you are more likely to overeat. Having a healthy snack at home will help you to resist the kilojoule-laden temptations.
- Steer clear of the fried foods and chips on the buffet table. Opt for the fruit and crunchy veggies with a hummus or tzatziki dip instead.
- If you are hungry, try sushi and some grilled (not fried) chicken strips or nibble on a handful of unsalted nuts or a piece of cheese on a wholewheat cracker – be careful, though, as cheese and nuts are high in energy.
- Focus on socialising and enjoying the company, instead of eating. Fill your plate once with a few low-fat snacks and then move away from the buffet table – it will stop you from nibbling on foods while you’re chatting.
- Watch your alcohol intake. Alcohol is loaded with kilojoules and can add on the kilos in no time. When you arrive at the party, first have a glass of water to quench your thirst. If you enjoy wine, dilute it with some water, sparkling water or soda, or add a few cubes of ice. Stay away from sweet wines and creamy liqueurs and beware of cocktails and party punches – these are usually very high in energy.
What are you party-survival tips?
(Photo credit: Shutterstock)